Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Review: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4) by Sarah J. Maas


Published: September 1, 2015 Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased
Goodreads Summary

Sarah J. Maas's New York Times bestselling Throne of Glass series reaches new heights in this sweeping fourth volume.

Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire-for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past...

She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.

Celaena's epic journey has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions across the globe. This fourth volume will hold readers rapt as Celaena's story builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.

She was a whirling cloud of death, a queen of shadows, and these men were already carrion.


*Beware of spoilers if you have not read the entire series

The Good


This book! It's so good I feel like there's no possible way my review can do it justice, but I'll try.

Aelin Galynthinius is on a mission to take down 2 men and rescue 2 more. She has taken a long look at herself and her flaws and forgiven herself, fully embracing and loving who she now is. So much happens in this one. It's almost as if every act comes back full circle with karma responding. Every kindness repaid, every cruelty punished. I love how all the characters are brought back together with some new faces adding excitement to the mix. I LOVE these characters!! Every single character means a lot to me. There are "good" characters, those so flawed in-between characters, and those that are beyond easy to hate. So much action. So many changes.

It has that 'watch over here' while the characters are working on their plans, and I'm trying to figure out how they will possibly get out of the situations they find themselves in. I love the little surprises and pieces of plans that I don't find out until they happen (sort of like watching the Oceans 11 - 13 movies). This series gives me all the feels. I laughed out loud numerous times, got tears in my eyes others. Queen of Shadows is an amazing journey that revs things up and brings all the pieces together.

The Bad


Not one thing can be criticized by me in this one.

The Romance


I want me a Rowan please. If anyone knows a place to order one, let me know. Everything that came before pales in comparison. She didn't fully love or know herself yet so she couldn't offer that to someone else, but she's found her place in the world and her self-love so she's fully ready to share it with that worthy person.

Conclusion


I honestly can't believe everything that went down in Queen of Shadows and I already want to go back and read it again. In honesty, it was so epic that it felt like a gratifying finale to the series, and we still have two more to go! I devoured it in two sittings. Absolutely, 100% recommended!


Excerpts



“Actually, I believe the title our esteemed friends in the empire now like to use is 'fire-breathing bitch-queen.'"

At last she met his stare, with eyes that were too old, too sad and tired to be nineteen. It has been a mistake to ever call her a girl - and there were indeed moments when Rowan forgot how young she truly was. The woman before him shouldered burdens that would break the spine of someone three times her age. "If you're a monster, I'm a monster," he said with a grin broad enough to show off his elongated canines.

But Rowan didn't dare grab for Aelin's hand to see the ring. She didn't move; she didn't speak. She just sat there and stared at the wall of the carriage. A perfect, broken, obedient doll.

Aelin made to slip out, but Arobynn said, "Aren't you the least bit curious where we buried Sam?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!