Thursday, February 19, 2015

Harry Potter Moment of the Week [54]


This is a meme hosted by Uncorked Thoughts.The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! She is picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All she asks is to link back to her blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come here.

    Favorite Trelawney Prophecy



Ok so this one may not be considered a real prophecy, but my favorite one is when Trelawney refuses to sit down at the dinner table for Christmas because of the unlucky number of diners. So it's more of a superstition really than a prophecy.

"I dare not, Headmaster! If I join the table, we shall be thirteen! Nothing could be more unlucky! Never forget that when thirteen dine together, the first to rise will be the first to die!"

When Harry and Ron both jump up from the table at the same time, she hysterically asks which one of them got up first. I love McGonagall's disdain with the silliness.

Do you count it as coming true that Dumbledore rose to greet her when she came in and he was the first to die?




12 comments:

  1. I didn't even remember this part, lol. Love that actress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do count it as true^^ if only because even Trelawney's oddest prophecies (and superstitions) all have a tendency of coming true! Like you do, my favorite bit about this is how annoyed McGonagall becomes about it all LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. They didn't put this one in the movies ;) I forgot to mention that part. I love her as Trelawney as well! She's so great in everything she stars in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. McGonagall is so funny though since she's completely no-nonsense. I love how she stands up for her later on like the sibling bond. Trelawney seems like such a fraud, and her craziness does actually end up being true. I love the Grim one too where everyone is laughing about how dumb she is, and it could be counted as coming true in two ways. One - Sirius arrives on scene as a big shaggy black dog, and Two - Voldemort is found by Pettigrew that escapes at the end of that year signifying his death coming for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I remember this part! I found it funny, especially McGonagall's response to it. It does count! I think J.K Rowling meant it have significance after all.
    You have an interesting blog here!

    Escaping Through Ink

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I remember that part! She's so much fun, and I love how all of her little quirks add up to a really interesting, and underhandedly humorous character. My favorite "prophesies" weren't exactly prophesies either, but I still found to be so much fun! Here's my HP MOTW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally forgot about that part! And I do wonder now if JKR put in a bit of foreshadowing there with Dumbledore rising first ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are a lot of things that she put in that have so much significance later, so I definitely wouldn't put it past her! Thanks so much for dropping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember when I first stumbled upon her, I thought she was going to be one of those unimportant teacher characters like Professor Binns, but she ended up being a larger part of the story than I originally thought. The moments surrounding her are absolutely hilarious :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, what's funny is today I came across a list of Harry Potter easter eggs that said that Sirius also got up first from a table of 13, and Lupin did as well later on. I never noticed those, but I guess you'd more have to be paying attention to how many people were in the room. In this instance, she specifically says there are 13 people eating together.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!