Thursday, December 18, 2014

Harry Potter Moment of the Week [45]


This is a meme hosted by Uncorked Thoughts.The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! She is picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All she asks is to link back to her blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come here.

    Best Minerva McGonagall line


Oh I just love her! One of the very first things that comes to mind is the hilarious comment she made in the movie after performing Piertotum Locomotor and she says, "I always wanted to use that spell." I thought it was brilliant that they brought out a little of her child-like adventurous side.



I also really enjoy the conversation she has with Wood:

"Potter, this is Oliver Wood. Wood – I've found you a Seeker."
Wood's expression changed from puzzlement to delight.
"Are you serious, Professor?"
"Absolutely," said Professor McGonagall crisply. "The boy's a natural. I've never seen anything like it. Was that your first time on a broomstick, Potter?"
Harry nodded silently…
"He caught that thing in his hand after a fifty-foot dive… Didn't even scratch himself…"

That's the first we saw of her not being the demanding, strictly-by-the-rules teacher. She completely ignores the fact that Harry just broke school rules and instead revels in the fact that she found an awesome Seeker for the house Quidditch team. I love this look into her character as a Quidditch fan.

Another of my favorites is when she shows Umbridge who's boss:

"False hope?" repeated Professor McGonagall, still refusing to look round at Professor Umbridge. "He has achieved high marks in all his Defence Against the Dark Arts tests –"
"I'm terribly sorry to have to contradict you, Minerva, but as you will see from my not, Harry has been achieving very poor results in his classes with me –"
"I should have made my meaning plainer," said Professor McGonagall, turning at last to look at Umbridge directly in the eyes. "He has achieved high marks in all Defence Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher."

Which McGonagall line is your favorite?


15 comments:

  1. Awwww, I ADORE how she 'found Wood a Seeker' in Harry ♥ One of her very first memorable moments!! And YES her saying 'I always wanted to use that spell' perfectly shows her more playful, childlike qualities!! Oh I just love her to pieces :D


    And let's be honest, the way she OWNED Umbridge every.step.of.the.way are easily highlights of the series LOL Awesome picks ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ula @ Blog of ErisedDecember 18, 2014 at 4:22 PM

    Hahahahah great picks! Yes I thought she'll be this strict old bat but she proved us wrong right at the start, loved her from then on!
    And lol oh lol on the last quote about competency... Died from laughter! Totally forgot of that one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how happy casting Piertotum Locomotor made McGonagall, too. I also loved Molly Weasley's reaction to seeing that side of McGonagall. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. "He has achieved high marks in all Defence Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher."

    I love McGonagall personalty ,, she is a true teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha aww great picks! Harry Potter is everything :D

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww she's so awesome! She has so much snark, care a bit of rebellion. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was the first moment that I was like, "wait...what?" because I (and Harry as well) thought she was about to give it to him for flying when he wasn't supposed to. I loved watching Zane's face when he saw that part in the movie (he watched the movies before reading the books). Her and the Umbridge scenes were absolutely magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite part about that insult is that she turns directly to look her in the eyes at that moment to deliver the blow. I just love how she constantly puts Umbridge in her place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely! She's someone I would love to have as a teacher :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was one of those things they put in the movies that wasn't in the book that I just loved. I also really liked the part where she's talking to Neville about getting Seamus to blow stuff up. She was really in her element during that scene in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely! She just blatantly calls Umbridge out, and she doesn't know how to respond to that one :D She just starts scribbling furiously in her notebook. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!